Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Advent Reflections

Nazarenes on the Eurasia Region share their Christmas memories and reflections in the November/December edition of Holiness Today.


Monica Boseff
, pastor, Bucharest, Romania
My favorite Christmas story goes back to the revolution days in 1989. The former dictator, Nicolae Ceausescu, and his wife were tried and executed on December 25 that year. Their people were puzzled and angry, shooting everything and everybody. I was at the emergency hospital in Bucharest where I had gone two days before, wanting to help in the best way I knew. Late at night, the lights had to be turned off for security reasons and we had to remain wherever we were in the hospital, in pitch darkness. Some were whispering, some were snoozing. Suddenly, someone said "Hush. Listen—something's wrong!" We all froze. Then we realized someone was playing a radio. It was softly playing Christmas carols—something we had not heard in 18 years. We cried tears of joy.

No comments: